Angel A. Alcala
Artist. Engineer. Designer.
As an artist, engineer, competent Maker, generalist, and Philomath, I have been a change-agent in every organization I have been involved with. I’ve accumulated more than 5 years of proven leadership experience improving processes, identifying issues in processes, suggesting user-focused improvements, and navigating/influencing cross-functional teams to drive these changes.
I’ve held many leadership positions where I had to create and maintain good relations, Bilingual and otherwise while demonstrating a high level of creativity, and openness to change with a drive to take initiative to build strong productive relationships.
I have been a teacher and a team member where I was the presenter of the communicator of technical issues of a project in a clear manner.
“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better”.
The University of Texas at San Antonio May 2017
B.S. Biomedical Engineering
Cumulative GPA: 3.27
The University of Texas at San Antonio December 2010
M.F.A. Studio Arts
Cumulative GPA: 3.85
Design Engineer: Tomorrow’s Biomedical Devices
The University of Texas at San Antonio
Aug 2016-May 2017
- Designed and modeled (AutoCAD) a new drug delivery biomedical device
- Identified strategic, technical, and regulatory milestones.
- Participated in the Center for Innovation, Technology, and Entrepreneurship (CITE) $100K Venture Competition.
Clinical Intern – The University of Texas at San Antonio
Biomedical Engineering Dept
May 2016- Aug 2016
- Performed deep-dive research of current clinical case studies
- Observed various surgical procedures for possible unmet clinical needs.
- Implemented Bio-design Process to create SolidWorks/Fusion360 3D models.
Public Art Specialist – Public Art San Antonio & A.R. Diaz Studio(Independent Contractor)
Feb 2011 to Dec 2012
- Installed public installations for City of San Antonio public art organizations and commissioned artists.
- Consulted and verified designs of the preliminary architectural plan and structural elements of public artworks, such as large-scale murals and public art installation elements and sites. Creation of large-scale commissioned murals using Adobe Suite and others (Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch-up)
- Developed and constructed stationary and mobile gallery elements.
- Validated design methods and advised best installation practices for artwork site.
As an Engineer
During the final year of my Engineering degree, I realized the brainstorming and designing and prototyping phase of the project was the most engaging part of the project. This made sense and connected deeply with my background in the Visual Arts.
I haveottained some experience designing and creating mechanical, electromechanical, and electronic devices in biomedical projects and coursework; resulting in knowledge of electronic digital circuitry and practical understanding of electronic and electro-mechanical devices.
With an MFA in Studio Arts from the University of Texas at San Antonio, I began working in visual design in 2010.
In addition to an art practice, he also curated shows, installed, supported in the creation of public and corporate artwork.
Later, continued his education by completing a Bachelors of science degree in Biomedical Engineering in 2017. where his love of arts and science found a meeting boundary where the conceptualizing of ideas and the practical synthesis of knowledge met, in Designing.
I enjoy creating things, some of the projects I’ve worked on during my summer internships and various involvement I’ve have worked on and had interesting design trajectories and solutions.
- Case study models
- Portable disposable Infusion Pump
- Donated blood storage Project
“Design is not just what it looks like and feels like.Design is how it works.” -Steve Jobs